Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review: Trapped by Michael Northrop


Title: Trapped
Author: Michael Northrop | Author Website
Available: Now
Publisher: Scholastic
Reading Level: Young Adult












Description from Goodreads:


The day the blizzard started, no one knew that it was going to keep snowing for a week. That for those in its path, it would become not just a matter of keeping warm, but of staying alive....

Scotty and his friends Pete and Jason are among the last seven kids at their high school waiting to get picked up that day, and they soon realize that no one is coming for them. Still, it doesn't seem so bad to spend the night at school, especially when distractingly hot Krista and Julie are sleeping just down the hall. But then the power goes out, then the heat. The pipes freeze, and the roof shudders. As the days add up, the snow piles higher, and the empty halls grow colder and darker, the mounting pressure forces a devastating decision....

My thoughts:

Trapped follows the story of seven high school students trapped in their school during a blizzard. The story offers a medley of characters, each with very unique personalities. Some of these characters meshed well and others clashed. This led to moments of tension in an all ready tense situation. 

Trapped is a fast paced and intense read. It had no problem holding my interest, but the pacing was a little bit too fast for my taste. I still enjoyed the time I spent reading. I thought the author offered an excellent look at how the instinct to survive sets in when placed in a situation that is rapidly escalating out of control. Not a light read by any means. Parts were downright frightening. If you enjoy being scared, pick this up the next time you’re braving severe weather. I also wasn’t thrilled with the ending because it didn’t offer the extent of closure I desired after riding out the blizzard with these seven teens. 

Other than my minor complaints this was a pretty good book. I just needed a little more development of the characters to fully connect. I was definitely invested in the situation and outcome, but didn’t feel like I knew the characters as well as I would have liked.

If you love an action driven read, than you’ll probably love Trapped. I think guys will especially dig it. Just the right amount of action, danger, and a male narrator to boot. 

My Rating:


Source:

1 comments:

  1. Great review!

    I had similar feelings to yours after I finished. I was not happy with the ending, either. You said it perfectly - the closure just wasn't there.

    ReplyDelete