Sunday, November 24, 2013

Review: Sapphire Blue by Kerstin Gier



Title: Sapphire Blue
Series: Ruby Red Trilogy #2
Author: Kerstin Gier
Available: Now
Genre: Sci-fi/Time Travel
Reading Level: YA

Source: Amazon Vine









Synopsis via Goodreads:



Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.


At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.

My thoughts:
Time travel books are slowly becoming my newest addiction and this is without a doubt one of my favorites. I was dreading reaching the end and the subsequent wait for the next book. The author has created a world I am 100% immersed in and connected to. I need to know what happens next! This series has so much left to discover. I'm dying to see how the author wraps it all up in book 3.

Protag Gwen is a character who is so easy to like and sympathize with. I also love her eclectic group of friends and the crazy situations she finds herself in. She adds a new friend to her repertoire in Sapphire Blue who adds an excellent element of comic relief. Gideon is as frustrating as ever in Sapphire Blue and my heart broke for Gwen numerous times while reading. The accusations that were being thrown around in Ruby Red continue for poor Gwen in this novel as well. I admire her ability to keep her cool because if I were in her shoes I would have surely lost it. The mysteries just continue to get deeper and deeper. I don't feel like much was resolved, but we are set up for the finale which I'm convinced is going to rock my socks off.

The pacing of Sapphire Blue is spot on. I flew through the pages as quickly as time/life would allow. I think I may have enjoyed this one even more than Ruby Red (which I LOVED). This is just such a fabulous series. I was worried going in with it being translated from German, but you can't even tell. The writing/translation is stellar. Oh how I wish I read German so I could track down the next book in this series and find out what happens! I just adore this series and can't wait for the next book!

0 comments:

Post a Comment