Saturday, September 3, 2011

Write a Post, Help a Dog



I've been a horrible blog commenter recently I know. One of those reason is I had to have my 13 year old pup put to sleep last month. I'm still struggling with the loss. She was destined for the pound when I took her in 12 years ago because of severe separation anxiety. A challenging dog to raise no doubt, but she was such a gentle girl. 


Saving the lives of unwanted, abused, and neglected animals is something very dear to my heart. This might explain why we currently have 6 cats and a pup sharing our home. 2 adopted from our local shelter last December, 1 orange tabby destined for the shelter who I took in almost 14 years ago, 1 stray we found at my daughter’s dance studio, and 3 orphan kittens we became "foster parents" to in July. My husband found them while fishing and I woke every 3-4 hours to bottle feed them from when they were 2 weeks old until they were 9 weeks old. They are running circles around me as I type this. So today I decided to catch up on some of my favorite blogs and saw a post about Pedigree helping to feed shelter dogs at both Teens Read and Write and Books and Things. I missed out on the chance to participate in this amazing event last year and came very close to missing it again this year. I’m dedicating this post to my sweet Sasha who passed away August 20th. 





How it works? (Copying most of this from Alyssa's post)

Pedigree is resurrecting its insanely successful Write a Post, Help a Dog program. In 2010, 391 bloggers wrote about the program and with each post, Pedigree donated 20 pounds of its Healthy Longevity dog food to shelter animals. In all, 7,820 pounds of food was donated to two shelters renowned for their care of senior dogs: Muttville Senior Dog Rescue in San Francisco and Castaway Critters in Harrisburg, Pa.

How you can help in 2011

Simply spread the word about Write a Post, Help a Dog 2011 and once again Pedigree will donate 20 pounds of food for each blogger's post. Here's all you need to include in your post:
  • The Write a Post, Help a Dog program is aimed at raising awareness and food for the more than four million dogs that wind up in shelters and breed rescues each year.
  • For each blog post mentioning the Pedigree Foundation from now until midnight ET on September 3, Pedigree will donate 20 pounds of its new dry Pedigree recipe food for dogs -- its best recipe ever -- to a shelter, because every dog deserves leading nutrition. 
  • The Pedigree Foundation -- a 501 (C)(3) nonprofit organization is committed to helping dogs by providing grants to shelters and rescues and encouraging dog adoption. This year the Foundation has already raised more than $376,570 against its goal of $1.5 million to carry out its work to fund grants that not only help shelters operate, but to further shelter innovations.
The Pedigree Foundation depends on charitable contributions from individuals to carry out its mission to help dogs find loving homes. In addition to writing a blog post, here's how you can help:



Link up to the Blog Hop , hosted by the Pedigree BlogPaws bloggers to help spread the word about Write a Post, Help a Dog. It ends at midnight EST tonight!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about Sasha. It is so hard when we lose a beloved pet. It's wonderful that you helped her have a full and beautiful life, and that you are still helping so many other animals. Thanks for the post and now you've helped even more animals. Sasha is so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. ((HUGS)) At least she knew she was loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really sorry for you lose.
    My dog died 2 and a half years ago and there is still a big hole left in my heart. They become family!

    ReplyDelete