Friday, May 6, 2011

Author Interview: Jennifer Murgia

I’m so excited to welcome Jennifer Murgia to the blog today. She is the author of the super fab Angel Star series. Welcome Jennifer!





TFE: Do you know how many books will be in the Angel Star series?
JM: Right now there are the two – Angel Star and Lemniscate. I have another in mind so we shall see . . .
TFE: I absolutely adore Teagan’s mom and loved that she had a positive presence in Angel Star. Was having a positive parental role model important to you?
JM: Yes it was. Many YA novels are filled with dysfunctional families. Some even omit parents altogether giving the reader a sense that the protagonist is left to their own devices. Sometimes this works and sometimes I feel like there’s an important element missing from the story that will help flesh it out.
Most YA’s deal with important issues, even in a paranormal setting so why not make it plausible. A healthy parental influence in a story for teens is a good thing.
TFE: Do you have a favorite when it comes to the two boys competing for Teagan’s attentions?
JM: That’s a hard question to ask me considering how important both Garreth and Hadrian are to me. I love both more than anything – can see the good and understand the flaws each one possesses. Garreth is the epitome of love and devotion and of encouragement, while Hadrian is the dark, sexy bad boy with a secret even he doesn’t see. . . Fine. It’s Hadrian. *cringe*.
TFE: In books do you usually feel drawn to the good guy or the bad boy?
JM: It depends really. If the book is only about the good guy, then it’s him. If it has a bad boy that can lean towards good, then it’s him. I don’t fall for a bad guy just because he’s bad. He needs to have depth; something special about him that will make me fall for him. Being evil with no hope of redemption is a turn-off.
TFE: Is there a song that comes to mind when you think of Teagan’s story?
JM: There are a lot of songs. Borders Express in Exton Pa recently hosted the release party for Lemniscate and they asked me to create a playlist so they could fill the store with the music that inspired me to write both books.
Here’s the playlist:
Anthem of the Angels – Breaking Benjamin
Broken – Seether (feat. Amy Lee)
Call Me When You’re Sober – Evanescence
The Catalyst – Linkin Park
Haunted – Evanescence
Hero – Skillet
How You Remind Me – Nickelback
Iridescent – Linkin Park
Iris – The Goo Goo Dolls
My Sacrifice – Creed
Not Strong Enough – Apocalyptica
Over and Over – Three Days Grace
Savin’ Me – Nickelback
Second Chance – Shinedown
Sleep Well, My Angel – We Are the Fallen
Waiting For The End – Linkin Park
Without You – Breaking Benjamin
Your Star – Evanescence
TFE: What are you currently reading?
JM: Sisters of Misery  by Megan Kelley Hall
TFE: Is there anything else you would like to share about yourself or your books?
JM: Just thanks so much to everyone who has found Angel Star and Lemniscate and read it. Getting my dream into your hands means more to me than you can think and it blows my mind how many fans the books have created!
TFE: Thanks for stopping by Jennifer! I can’t wait to see where you take readers next!


Books in the Angel Star series:

Angel StarLemniscate (The Angel Star Sequel)


1 comments:

  1. what a fantastic interview and she sounds like such a neat, down-to-earth person! and so young! wow! I've got to read these books now!!!

    ReplyDelete