Friday, March 18, 2011

ARC Review: Through Her Eyes by Jennifer Archer



Title: Through Her Eyes
Author: Jennifer Archer | Author’s Website
Available: 4/5/2011
Reading Level: Young Adult












Description from Goodreads:


Sixteen-year-old Tansy Piper moves with her grandfather and her mother, a horror writer, to the setting of her mother's next book--a secluded house outside of a tiny, desolate West Texas town. Lonely and upset over the move, Tansy escapes into her photography and the dark, seductive poems she finds hidden in the cellar, both of which lure her into the mind and world of a mysterious, troubled young man who died sixty years earlier.


My thoughts:


To say Tansy isn’t happy to be leaving her home, friends, and school would be a serious understatement, but the choice isn’t really hers to make. Her mom writes horror novels, and hopes to find her muse in an old house in Texas. Tansy feels like she doesn’t fit in from day one, and quickly loses herself in her photography. It is through the lens of her camera that she discovers the ghost story taking place around her.


I absolutely LOVE a good ghost story, and Through Her Eyes delivered! Tansy is transported through time to witness the tumultuous story of a man named Henry unfold. I don’t think the author could have picked a better vessel to give Tansy a front row seat to the past. As the story progresses and secrets unfold, I was turning each page with bated breath. I loved when the plot began to intertwine with Tansy’s family tree. 


This book features some top-notch main and secondary characters. I admired Tansy’s individuality and lack of desire to conform. She handles her relocation better than could be expected, and I liked that her relationship with her mother and grandfather (Papa Dan) was so very normal and healthy. I identified with the heartache she was experiencing watching her grandfather fall victim to dementia having experienced the same thing with my grandmother a few years ago. This plot detail and Tansy’s bond with her grandfather really touched on one of the most difficult periods of my life, and memories that I tend to keep buried deep. This earned Through Her Eyes a special place in my heart, and allowed me to connect on a level other readers might not be able to experience. It isn’t often that I can say this about a book.


Mysterious Henry is charming in an uber-creepy way. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to love him or fear him. Unlikely friend, Bethyl Anne AKA Stinky, was a delight. I dare you to not love this girl who speaks in Shakespeare quotes! Love interest, Tate, gives you the small town jock first impression, but there is so much more to this boy than meets the eye. As Tansy was losing her reality to the ghost of Henry, I was losing mine to this book. Fantastic premise, ideal pacing, and great characters! 


I’d recommend Through Her Eyes to readers who enjoy ghost stories or stories of the paranormal, especially those partial to a small town setting (like me!). Standalone novels are becoming a rare find, so if that is your cup of tea give this one a try. I consider myself a “series kind of girl”, but I absolutely loved this one and was left feeling sated at the end of the final page.


I also have to add that Jennifer Archer wrote Women’s Fiction prior to her jump into the YA writing pool. I haven’t read her other titles, but I was thoroughly impressed with her YA debut!


My Rating:


Order from Amazon:

Through Her Eyes

Pre-ordering will enter you in the Through Her Eyes Gargantuan Giveaway Jennifer Archer is hosting. Check out her website for all the details!

Book Trailer:


Source:

3 comments:

  1. Very nice review :) I've seen this book here and there but never actually knew what it was about. After your review I might just have to pick it up...

    And I agree with you about how stand alone novels are getting harder to find! Series are nice, but stand alones are also just as good!

    ~Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds interesting. I love books that are all about the characters!

    ReplyDelete