Tuesday, March 1, 2011

ARC Review: Blood & Flowers by Penny Blubaugh


Title: Blood & Flowers
Series: Debut, maybe?
Author: Penny Blubaugh
Available: 3/1/2011
Reading Level: Young Adult
Genre: Fantasy












Description from Goodreads:


Three years ago, Persia ran away from her drug-addict parents and found a home with the Outlaws, an underground theater troupe. With time, this motley band of mortals and fey, puppeteers and actors, becomes the loving family Persia never had, and soon Persia not only discovers a passion for theater but also falls in love with one of the other Outlaws. Life could not be more perfect. 

Until an enemy makes an unfair accusation against the group and forces them to flee their world and hide in the neighboring realm of Faerie. But in Faerie, all is not flowers and rainbows. With bloodthirsty trolls, a hostile monarchy, and a dangerous code of magic, the fey world is far from the safe haven the Outlaws had hoped for.... 

Following up her critically acclaimed Serendipity Market, Penny Blubaugh has created a beautiful and mysterious world where anything can happen—especially what you least expect.


My thoughts:


Persia left her drug-addicted parents to join a traveling theater troupe. There is something special about this theater troupe though. They use faerie magic! Soon troubles from the past begin to resurface, and everyone Persia cares about could be in jeopardy. They decide to hide in Faerie, but quickly discover they can’t run from their problems.


I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked the idea of a traveling theater troupe that used Faerie magic to animate puppets, but the characters didn’t leave a lasting impression on me. I know I can’t end every book feeling like I have a new BFF, but with this one they all felt like strangers. This should not be the case after spending 300+ pages together. The cast was quite large, but Persia is the main focus. We see things through her eyes. The characters had the potential to be fantastic, but they just weren’t developed enough for my liking. The world also wasn’t explained well enough to really pull me in. Really a great concept, but with the lack of development in the characters and world, it just didn’t win me over.


The ending seemed open for a sequel. I’d definitely pick up the next book and give the author, Persia, and her friends a second chance if this does turn out to be a series. 


Cover thoughts: Gorgeous and a perfect fit for the story it accompanies. It does an excellent job of making me think faeries and magic are a big part of the book.


My Rating:





2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm....I'm not so sure on this one. Faerie's are not my favourite thing to read about, so if I'm going to read a book featuring them, it has to be pretty special.

    Pretty colours on the cover, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    This is Owen Hyde,
    I’m very interested in guest posting at your sites/ blogs. I discovered you by your site. I have gone through your site. I was really impressed and wanted to get involved. I am having a unique and fresh original content for “Flower “to share as a guest post. Let me know what you think. I hope all is well.
    With Regards,
    Owen Hyde

    ReplyDelete