Tuesday, November 2, 2010

ARC Review: Jane by April Lindner



Title: Jane
Author: April Lindner
Available: Now
Reading Level: Young Adult






4.5 out of 5 Stars








Description from Goodreads:


Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.


My thoughts:


Disclaimer: I haven’t read Jane Eyre (gasp...I know). So I’m reviewing this as someone who is not a fangirl of the book that this one was based on.


Jane drops out of college because of financial woes after the death of her parents. Her quest for employment brings her to a nanny agency. She is quickly placed as the nanny for Maddy. Maddy just happens to be the daughter of a famous rockstar who is in the midst of planning a comeback tour. Jane’s the sensible kind of girl who doesn’t crave celeb gossip, and the agency is confidant she won’t become starstruck and have it effect her job. Jane finds herself drawn to famous Nico much to her dismay, and Nico seems to relish in Jane’s straightforward attitude. After years of being told what he wants to hear it is almost as if he is grateful for her honesty. Can quiet, conservative Jane actually live the life of a rockstar’s girlfriend? Will the secrets Nico is keeping tear them apart?


I adored this book. Jane is truly an endearing character. I love that she wasn’t the picture of physical perfection. Maybe it’s just me, but sometimes I get tired of reading about main characters staring in a mirror thinking how gorgeous they are. I admired her values. You can’t not like Jane. I dare you to try ;) Nico didn’t win me over immediately, but as his relationship with Jane blossomed I found my first impression changing. He had that damaged, but redeemable hero thing going on that I kind of dig. The romance between Jane and Nico was well paced. It was a case of opposites attracting, but they complimented each other so perfectly. The mystery was a nice little twist. While I found it predictable I don’t feel the predictability took away from the story. Jane’s struggles and growth is what this book is all about. Her character undergoes so many experiences during the course of the novel. Falling in love, drama with her selfish siblings, heartbreak, and more. I was surprised how quickly I finished this after picking it up. I was just so engrossed in everything that was happening. This is the kind of book you sacrifice sleep for.


I wish I could comment on how well modern day Jane lives up to the book that inspired it. I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed April Lindner’s take, and was thrilled there were no vampires, zombies, or werewolves lurking around the grounds of Thornfield Park ;) Loved the idea of a rockstar love interest. I also loved that the hottie rockstar was close to my age (he’s older though *wink*) And yes, I do plan to read Jane Eyre so maybe I’ll give this one a re-read after. Hopefully this book will encourage others to pick up the classic as well.


April Lindner on the web:



Order your very own copy of Jane from Amazon:

Jane

Add on Goodreads:






2 comments:

  1. Ooh, so glad to hear you liked this one! i've had my eye on it for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want this something fierce! FAB review.

    ReplyDelete