Thursday, September 30, 2010

Review: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep



Title: Web of Lies
Series: Elemental Assassin #2
Author: Jennifer Estep
Available: Now
Reading level: Adult


4.5 out of 5 Stars




**This post contains spoilers for earlier books in the series!**






Description from Goodreads:


Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon. 

I'm Gin Blanco. 

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I’m retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant. Only, for once, those kill shots weren’t aimed at me. They were meant for Violet Fox. Ever since I agreed to help Violet and her grandfather protect their property from an evil coalmining tycoon, I’m beginning to wonder if I’m really retired. So is Detective Donovan Caine. The only honest cop in Ashland is having a real hard time reconciling his attraction to me with his Boy Scout mentality. And I can barely keep my hands off his sexy body. What can I say? I’m a Stone elemental with a little Ice magic thrown in, but my heart isn’t made of solid rock. Luckily, Gin Blanco always gets her man . . . dead or alive.


My thoughts:


Gin Blanco is now a retired assassin, and running the Pork Pit full time since inheriting the BBQ restaurant from Fletcher. Yep, life is a little boring, but Fletcher had asked her to retire before his brutal murder. She feels like the least she can do is honor her dead handler’s wishes. At least until things get a little monotonous, and Gin finds a girl who needs protecting. Still pondering the meaning behind the file Fletcher left her, Gin could use the distraction and the action.


I liked this one so much more than the first. I’m still not a Donovan Caine fan though. Gin, you can do better girl! This one was packed full of serious action. I love Gin, and have nothing but admiration for her tenacity. A few mysteries brought up in the first book are solved in this installment. Of course that means a few new ones also pop up. I’m so excited to see where Gin’s adventures take us next. Thanks to a few well timed flashbacks, we learn more about Gin’s past. We also witness her attempt to digest what was in the file Fletcher left her. Retirement is turning out to be almost as exciting as when Gin was working as a paid assassin.


I also enjoyed learning more about Gin’s nontraditional family unit, the love they share, and how far they are willing to go to protect each other. Gin has come so far from the frightened orphan living on the streets. Definitely a character you can’t help but to love (knives and all). This is a fantastic series brimming with the potential of more awesomeness to come. I loved it!


Jennifer Estep on the web:


Books in this series:

Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, Book 1)Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, Book 2)Venom (Elemental Assassin, Book 3)






Source: Purchased by moi.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't started this series, but it definitely has an intriguing premise. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried this author. Great review!

    ReplyDelete