Monday, September 13, 2010

ARC Review: Kiss Me Deadly Anthology


Title: Kiss Me Deadly
Authors: See Below
Available: Now
Number of Pages: 432
Reading Level: Young Adult


4 out of 5 Stars












My thoughts:


I’m typically a huge fan of anthologies. It gives me the opportunity to get a “taste” of an author’s writing, and in some cases catch a glimpse at the world where their series takes place. Sometimes it is enough to make me run out and pick up the first book in the series. Other times it serves as a warning the series isn’t for me. In the case of Kiss Me Deadly it featured tried and true favorites, as well as several newbies who I now have firmly fixed on my radar.

The Assassin’s Apprentice by Michelle Zink:

This was a fascinating scenario. Rose is searching for the demon that killed her family. While hunting said demon she crosses paths with an assassin, Asher, who is hunting the same demon. This is a short story I’d love to see expanded into a full length novel. I really feel this world is one that would make for a great read.


This short story features a nun named Gita who brings her unicorn, Enyo, to a wealthy estate for a marriage ritual.  I have not read the killer unicorn series by this author yet, and found this story slightly confusing. If you have read the unicorn series you will probably enjoy this short story. I do know I want more unicorns in my future. This is a story I’ll have to read again after I read Rampant.

The Spirit Jar by Karen Mahoney:

In this short story a vampire named Moth is trying to retrieve a book for her sire. Thinking it will be a quick in and out job. Unfortunately, Moth doesn’t factor in the mysterious disappearing boy who is after the same book. 

After doing a little research I discovered this is the second short story featuring Moth. I hope to read the first one which can be found in The Eternal Kiss soon. I really liked Moth, and would definitely love to see her have more adventures.

Lost by Justine Musk:

Sasha meets a mysterious stranger at an abandoned house, and discovers she has major decisions to make.

This was a fabulous short story, and one that really felt complete to me. Usually a short story leaves me wanting more, but after reading Lost I was sated. I loved the writing, and the legends in this one. This is an author I’m itching to read more from.

The Spy Who Never Grew Up by Sarah Rees Brennan:

Forget everything you thought you knew about Peter Pan. He is a spy who works for the Queen. Neverland isn’t what it used to be. Wendy’s descendants live in fear. If you read only one short story from this anthology make it this one. It had me in tears from laughing so hard.  I loved it!

Behind the Read Door by Caitlin Kittredge:

Uber-creepy story about a girl and a ghost. This was a goose bump inducing read. What’s behind the red door? You’ll have to read to find out.

Hare Moon by Carrie Ryan:

Hare Moon features more zombie goodness in The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Tabitha meets a boy that makes her ignore the rules about venturing out of her village. The fences are there for a reason ladies! This one twisted my heart. Ms. Ryan gives good story.

Familiar by Michelle Rowen:

Cute story about a witch who ends up with a shape shifting familiar. I love Michelle Rowen’s writing style, and clever dialogue. Not a new author for me, but one I can always rely on to bring the fun.

Fearless by Rachel Vincent:

Sabine finds herself in a home for wayward girls after a brush with the law. In order to survive she must feed on the nightmares of others. Unfortunately, this isn’t an option because everyone seems content. Sabine decides other forces must be in motion, and sets out to find out what is going on.

This story submerged me head first into Rachel Vincent’s world, and showed me what I was missing. Giving this series a bump up on the to be read pile.

Vermillion by Daniel Marks:

Featuring Velvet and Nick who reside in purgatory, and help keep the waiting souls in line. This is a fresh and clever take on the paranormal genre. I also throughly enjoyed Velvet’s snark. I would love to see this duo in their own series.

The Hounds of Ulster by Maggie Stiefvater:

A fantastic story featuring faeries with a jaw dropping twist at the end. I love Maggie’s writing, and The Hounds of Ulster is no exception. This a great little story that will leave you wanting more from this talented author.

Many Happy Returns by Daniel Waters:

A group of kids are killed in an accident. The parents then wait to see if their child will “return”. Some parents are hoping they will, while others aren’t hiding their prejudice against the zombie teens.

This story was so sad. Prior to reading Kiss Me Deadly I had no idea what this author’s “Generation Dead” series was about. As a zombie sympathizer, I’m marking his series as a must read.

Final thoughts:

I enjoyed reading Kiss Me Deadly. Fans of any of the featured authors, or lovers of short stories should check it out. Some mature situations and language so I’d be hesitant to recommend this to younger teens/tweens, at least when it comes to my tween. 

The ARC I read didn’t contain a short story from Becca Fitzpatrick, so I wasn’t able to review it.




*Received from Book It Forward Tours

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good anthology. I'm usually wary of them because I worry I will only like a few parts. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooooooooo I love the sound of this compilation. I must get it.

    ReplyDelete