Monday, July 26, 2010

ARC Review: Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel



Title: Infinite Days
Author: Rebecca Maizel
Release Date: 8/3/2010
Publisher: St. Martin’s Griffin
Number of pages: 310
Reading Level: Young Adult


4 out of 5 Stars










Description from Goodreads:


Lenah Beaudonte is, in many ways, your average teen: the new girl at Wickham Boarding School, she struggles to fit in enough to survive and stand out enough to catch the eye of the golden-boy lacrosse captain. But Lenah also just happens to be a recovering five-hundred-year-old vampire queen. After centuries of terrorizing Europe, Lenah is able to realize the dream all vampires have -- to be human again. After performing a dangerous ritual to restore her humanity, Lenah entered a century-long hibernation, leaving behind the wicked coven she ruled over and the eternal love who has helped grant her deep-seated wish. 

Until, that is, Lenah draws her first natural breath in centuries at Wickham and rediscovers a human life that bears little resemblance to the one she had known. As if suddenly becoming a teenager weren’t stressful enough, each passing hour brings Lenah closer to the moment when her abandoned coven will open the crypt where she should be sleeping and find her gone. As her borrowed days slip by, Lenah resolves to live her newfound life as fully as she can. But, to do so, she must answer ominous questions: Can an ex-vampire survive in an alien time and place? What can Lenah do to protect her new friends from the bloodthirsty menace about to descend upon them? And how is she ever going to pass her biology midterm?


My thoughts:


Lenah has reached the point in her vampire existence where it has begun to lose its appeal. It isn’t a life she chose. She was turned by Rhode without her consent, but she seemed to adapt well to her role as vampire at the time.  She asks Rhode to help perform a ritual that will make her human again, and also to keep it a secret from the other vampires. Relocated to a boarding school, Lenah is given the chance to start new. She never realized how difficult that would be. Grieving for Rhode, attempting to fit in with modern day teens (including catty teen girls), and hiding from a group of violent vampires that consider her their queen turns out to be quite a dangerous task.


I absolutely adored this book. It was a fresh and exciting addition to the vampire scene. I noticed I was starting to avoid books about vampires. Strange since they used to one of my favorites among the supernatural beings. It just felt like the books were starting to all read the same. This was most definitely not the case with Infinite Days. It is a book that will stand apart from others in its genre. The author takes the vampire legend and makes it her own. A great cast of characters, combined with an engaging plot, makes for a book you don’t want to see end. I also must say the ending was superb. My only complaint is that I wasn’t feeling any chemistry between Lenah, and love interest Justin. The book had other hot boys that could take his place, and I’d love to see them make a play for Lenah’s affections. I can’t wait to see where the next book in this series takes us.


Rebecca Maizel on the web:

Books in the Vampire Queen series:
Infinite Days Coming August 2010
Stolen Nights Coming in 2011


Order from Amazon:





*I received this book from the publisher in exchange for my review!

7 comments:

  1. i had no idea this book was about vampires, lol!! thanks for letting me know what this one is about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you loved it! I did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly how I felt too. I'm really interested to see where the story goes from here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many people practically sing praise for this book. it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen the cover of this one around a lot but had no clue what it was actually about. Now that I do I am really intrigued. This really does sound like a fresh take on vampires which I am really glad to see. The forbidden love thing was getting a little old for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice review! I ordered this for our library, but it's not here yet.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds intriguing and I'm always up for a new take on the Vamps.

    ReplyDelete