Saturday, April 10, 2010

Review: The Clearing by Heather Davis



Title: The Clearing
Author: Heather Davis
Release Date: 4/12/2010
Publisher: Graphia
Number of pages: 228

ISBN:  9780547263670

Received from Net Galley






Description from Goodreads:

Amy, a sixteen-year-old recovering from an abusive relationship, moves to the country to start a new life with her aunt–all she wants is for everything to be different. In the clearing at the back of Aunt Mae’s property, she makes an amazing discovery—Henry, a boy stuck in the endless summer of 1944. Henry and his world become Amy’s refuge and she begins to learn that some moments are worth savoring. But when the past and present come crashing together, both of them must find the courage to face what is meant to be, even if it means losing each other forever.

My thoughts:

I’ll admit Young Adult books are a guilty pleasure of mine. I don’t know what the draw is exactly but I love how they leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy. The Clearing is no exception. I absolutely adored this book. Heather Davis managed to fit a fantastic plot with well developed characters into just 228 pages.  She has a beautiful writing style and I hope to see many more books from her in the future. 

Amy is a great character. She really shows the struggle between making the right choices instead of just the easiest one. She isn’t perfect but is trying her best to not let the mistakes in her past dictate her future. I love how the relationship between Amy and Henry progressed. He is such a gentleman and I love his old fashioned dialogue. Aunt Mae is a no nonsense type of lady that is guaranteed to remind you of someone in your family.  It all wrapped up in what I consider the perfect ending. 

Find out more about Heather Davis here:

The Clearing is scheduled to release April 12th but it is shipping now from Amazon and has beens spotted in bookstores.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I cannot wait to read this book, it looks so good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog - it's all warm and cozy there!

    I agree with you that Davis wrote in such a way that was compelling. Once I got settled in, I didn't want to put her book down.

    ReplyDelete